Great Day Every Day by Max Lucado

I'm sure Max Lucado's intention in this book was to life people up and make them feel good. This book is about having a positive outlook on life and turning a bad day into a good day. The problem I had with this book was that in seeking to make people feel better, Lucado's words can be easily read as false assurance and a license to sin because you already have your ticket to heaven.

Example: "As you lust, gloat, covet, or judge, Jesus stands before the tribunal of heaven and points to the blood-streaked cross. “I’ve already made provision. I’ve taken away the sins of the world.” What a gift he has given you. You’ve won the greatest lottery in the history of humanity, and you didn’t even pay for the ticket! Your soul is secure, your salvation guaranteed."

My favorite part of the book was in Ch 4, when Lucado interprets Matthew 18:23–25: "Tell me, how do you plan to pay God for your 4.3 million sin increments? Your payout is unachievable. Unreachable. You’re swimming in a Pacific Ocean of debt." This is like our debt of sin. There is nothing we of ourselves could ever do to pay for our own sins. This is why we need Jesus Christ. But then I didn't like how Lucado goes back into this idea of Jesus forgiving anyone and everyone because it sounds like easy believism and a false assurance of salvation and a license to sin: "God pardons the zillion sins of selfish humanity. Forgives sixty million sin-filled days." Lucado uses this to give a blanket statement that we must forgive everyone always. Yes, we must. But we must also not forget Mt 18 and 1 Cor 5, where it tells us to expel the wicked brother. We can forgive, but still hold others accountable until they repent. I wish Lucado made this clear instead of always going for the feel good stuff.

I also noticed Lucado teaches of a temporary state of Paradise, before man goes to heaven. Outside of Abraham's Bosom and Purgatory, I hadn't been aware of any Christian teachings on temporary places prior to our eternal states in heaven or hell. I understand Lucado is a Church of Christ pastor, so maybe this is one of their teachings? Lucado wrote: "[The thief on the cross] hears the official language of Christ: grace. Undeserved. Unexpected. Grace. “Today you will join me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). Paradise. The intermediate heaven. The home of the righteous until the return of Christ. The Tree of Life is there. Saints are there. God is there."

This book was positive and light easy reading. It was not deep at all - it was shallow. More like a short story devotional, encouraging readers to stay positive throughout each day and that this will make an overall positive life. I wouldn't recommend this book. There was nothing much to it. Kinda fluffy, feel good stuff and not all that biblically accurate. Lucado's statements are so wishy-washy that they can easily be misinterpreted into an incorrect view of scripture. Lucado does not make his statements clear because that would "not make readers feel so good". So Lucado focuses only on the positive stuff. If you're bored, I guess you could read this, but I would warn readers to discern very carefully.

Disclaimer: I gave my honest review. I received this book from the publisher but a positive review was not required

No comments:

Post a Comment