1000 Days: The Ministry of Christ by Jonathan Falwell

Jonathan Falwell's book 1000 Days: The Ministry of Christ is an excellent read. It is captivating, orderly and flows well. It makes a lot of sense without being difficult to comprehend and it has challenging, thoughtful relevant questions at the end of each chapter. I was not expecting much from this author, having heard a lot of criticisms of Jonathan's famous father, Jerry Falwell, but the son has done an excellent job with this book.

Although this book isn't about anything really new, it is very relevant and a challenge to most Christians. We can all benefit from this idea: We must live like Jesus Christ. Jonathan takes readers through key passages to point how Christ-like behavior. My favorite part of this book was Jonathan's interpretation of the Beatitudes and have not heard it ever put quite like this: The beatitudes have to do with the gospel and salvation! The poor are the spiritually poor who are without Christ. The mourners are those broken over their lost state and their sinful condition. Meek is for submission to God and God's will - or dying to self. I think this part of the book in Chapter 4 was beautiful and outstanding.

I love this book because it is a challenge for Christians to clean up their act and live Christ-like lives. Jesus didn't come to demonstrate a Christian life for 3 1/2 years for us to ignore his example. We aren't supposed to just get our ticket to heaven and ignore the example He left us. I was impressed with Jonathan's grasp on the scriptures and his sticking to a biblical interpretation. I was looked for some sort of error or him going off the straight and narrow path, but I could find nothing wrong with this book. I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer: I gave my honest review. I received this book from the publisher but a positive review was not required

No comments:

Post a Comment