The Blessing by John Trent and Gary Smalley

Gary Smalley has written some good books so I thought this one would be good too. The idea seemed fantastic - unconditional love and the idea of blessing others - giving them a real blessing that matters and makes a difference in their lives. A blessing that heals and gives hope.

However, after reading this, I could NOT recommend this book. The book was painfully slow and painfully difficult to continue through. I usually finish a book in several hours but this one took two days to finish. The book read like a sales pitch. The entire book keeps telling you how great "the blessing" is and how it changes lives and makes such a difference. And the author keeps telling you "the blessing has helped others, so don't you want to make a commitment right here and now to promise to give the blessing to ANY one child?" This book drags on like a poor sales pitch. Hyping "the blessing" (and you still don't even know what it is) and trying to get you to "make a commitment" and a "promise to give someone the blessing" over and over and over again.

And you keep reading and reading and reading. First you are dying to know what "this blessing" thing is. Then the author keeps stringing you along forever... and you lose interest. By chapter 6, you finally start to feel like you might be getting a basic understanding of what "the blessing" thing is and how to apply it to your life. But that's Chapter 6 and over 50 pages into the book!

I did not find this book inspiring, like I had hoped. I will be careful of this author, because the writing is not good. This book did nothing to make me want to change my life.

Disclaimer - I reviewed this book for the publisher and received this copy for free but I gave my honest review and opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment